The Fully Functioning Person
To be fully functioning is not a place we arrive at, it is the way we live everyday
Carl Rogers, a leading Psychologist believed that to be fully functioning is not a place we arrive at, but rather, the process of always becoming and changing. Such a process entails being in touch with the here and now, in touch with one’s subjective experiences and feelings, continually learning, growing, and changing
“The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.” Carl Rogers
In this regard, Carl Rogers identified five characteristics of the fully functioning person
- Open to experience: Carl writes “Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person’s ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me” Accept both positive and negative experiences as they come, those that you have no control. Importantly, Go out on a limp. Step into the unknown. Away from your comfort zone. Go with the flow, and when need be, do not hesitate to disrupt the flow by readjusting your sails. Accept and embrace every experience that life sends your way. Learn from everything and everyone!
- Existential living: Heard of people who prefer making Lemonades from the Lemons life throws at them? Be like them. When life throws you curveballs, try not to get into an existential crisis, caught in the past of how things were and the future of how things could be while your current Lemons go bad. BUILD THE CAPACITY to LIVE FULLY IN THE PRESENT and respond freely and flexibly to new experiences without fear. Be in touch with different experiences as they occur in life, avoiding prejudging and preconceptions.
- Trust feelings: The old adage “trust your gut” comes true here. Trusting those feelings of intuition, are a good way of remaining true to yourself. Start paying attention to how you feel, and BEGIN TRUSTING YOURSELF TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECICIONS!
- Creativity: Seek new ways. Nudge your creative mental faculties. Often ask, ‘what if?’ then sing an old song in a new way. Take some risks. Let the adrenaline from trying new things surge. Be able to adjust, change, seek new experiences and new ways even to old things.
- Fulfilled life: Happy. Satisfied. Grateful.
For Rogers, fully functioning people are well adjusted, well balanced and interesting to be with!
(Remember if you ever feel stuck, you can reach our team. We are always ready to walk with you)